Tuesday, July 13, 2010

All I Want for Christmas

It’s about that time for Christmas in July, right? Yes, it is. And like anyone else I have a few things I’ve wanted for quite some time from the Minnesota Twins. Here’s what I want:


1) Joe Mauer to put up better numbers in the second half.

If you’re a Twins fan you know that Mauer hasn’t gotten off to a very "Joe Mauer like start." Maybe it’s the new stadium, maybe it’s the new contract, or maybe it’s his embarrassing Kemps commercials keeping him up at night. No matter what the problem is, I want him to fix it. This is something that I’m really not all that worried about, seeing as he is Joe Mauer. He’s far too good of a player to be off for the entire season.

2) Delmon Young to stay this new and improved Delmon.

Whoever this guy they’re calling Delmon Young is, he needs to stay for the second half. With his .305 batting average, .504 slugging percentage, 54 RBIs and 10 home runs, he is by far the biggest surprise so far this season. I would love to see him put up these same numbers in the second half.

3) Justin Morneau goes against the norm and has a second half.

I love a rebel (one that rebels inside the law.) That’s exactly what I want Morneau to do. I want to see him have two good halves of the season this year, unlike he has done in previous years. Maybe backing out of the All-Star game will make a difference. It’ll give him more time to pump some iron with bears.

4) Jim Thome sees more time at DH.

I need to see Thome starting games more often than I am now. I’m not talking every single day, but I need it to be more often than not. Even if he is wearing down, he’s still a dangerous hitter who has a whole lot to bring to this Twins line-up. I honestly think that this is one essential key to being successful down the stretch.

5) No more double plays!

The Twins have hit into a staggering 100 double plays in the first half. They lead not only the American League but the entire Majors. Leading this double play initiative are Joe Mauer and Michael Cuddyer with 14 and Orlando Hudson and Delmon Young with 10. I just can’t handle seeing any more of this, games can’t be won by giving opposing pitchers a two for one deal on outs.

6) The starting rotation gets a verbal slap in the face.

I’m not a very violent person and I believe that anything can be handled with words and the starting rotation needs a few strong ones strung together and thrown at them. I know my nerves can’t stand wondering which version of Blackburn, Slowey, Baker, or Liriano has decided to show up at the ball park for their scheduled start, knowing that all are capable of quality starts. I think a good stern talking to could help snap at least three of these guys out of this funk.

I will be one happy gal this holiday season if I receive these things from the Twins.

0 comments:

Post a Comment